Eugenia Mata-Greenwood, PhD
Division of Pharmacology
School of Medicine
Loma Linda University
Loma Linda, CA 92350
Phone: (909) 558-4325
Fax: (909) 558-4029
Glucocorticoid regulation of eNOS expression in Caucasians and African Americans. Studies on racial differences in endothelial biology, particularly in response to glucocorticoids, estrogen, progesterone, and growth factors (insulin, fibroblast growth factor, and vascular endothelial growth factor).
New projects include: 1) the discovery of the Brown Norway rat as a model of placental insufficiency leading to fetal loss. This animal model presents renin-angiotensin system activation which is linked to a particular ACE polymorphism. In addition, Brown Norway rats present decreased vitamin D activation. 2) Studies on the effects of tumor necrosis alpha (TNF) and its mechanisms of inflammation in human endothelial cells. Study of polymorphisms in the TNF receptors to explain variability in response to TNF.
- Goyal R, Yellon S, Longo LD, Mata-Greenwood E. Placental gene expression in a rat ‘model’ of placental insufficiency. Placenta, 2010, in press.
- Mata-Greenwood E, Liao WX, Wang W, Zheng J, Chen DB. Activation of AP-1 transcription factors differentiates FGF2 and vascular endothelial growth factor regulation of endothelial nitric-oxide synthase expression in placental artery endothelial cells. J Biol Chem 285:17348-58, 2010.
- Mata-Greenwood E, Liao WX, Zheng J, Chen DB. Activation of Multiple Signaling Pathways is involved in eNOS upregulation by FGF2 but not VEGF in Placental Artery Endothelial Cells. Placenta 29:708-717, 2008.
- Mata-Greenwood E, Chen DB. Racial differences in Nitric Oxide-dependent vasorelaxation. Reproductive Sci. 15: 9-25, 2008.
- Qian XX, Mata-Greenwood E, Liao WX, Zhang S, Chen DB. Transcriptional regulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase expression in uterine artery endothelial cells by c-Jun/AP-1. Mol Cell Endocrinol, 279:39-51, 2007.
- Mata-Greenwood E, Jenkins C, Farrow KN, Konduri GG, Russell JA, Lakshminrusimha S, Black SM and Steinhorn RH. Endothelial nitric oxide synthase function is developmentally regulated: uncoupling of eNOS occurs postnatally. Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. 290: L232-241, 2006.
- Mata-Greenwood E, Grobe A, Kumar S, Noskina Y and Black SM. Cyclic stretch increases VEGF expression in pulmonary arterial smooth muscle cells via TGF- β1 and reactive oxygen species: a requirement for NAD(P)H oxidase. Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. 289: L288-299, 2005.
- Black SM, Mata-Greenwood E, Dettman RW, Ovadia B, Fitzgerald RK, Reinhartz O, Thelitz S, Steinhorn RH, Gerrets R, Hendricks-Munoz K, Ross GA, Bekker JM, Johengen MJ and Fineman JR. Emergence of smooth muscle cell Endothelin B-mediated vasoconstriction in lambs with experimental congenital heart disease and increased pulmonary blood flow. Circulation 108: 1646-1654, 2003.
- Mata-Greenwood E, Meyrick B, Soifer SJ, Fineman JR and Black SM. Expression of VEGF and its receptors Flt-1 and Flk-1/KDR is altered in lambs with increased pulmonary blood flow and pulmonary hypertension. Am. J. Physiol. 285: L222-L231, 2003.
- Mata-Greenwood E, Meyrick B, Steinhorn RH, Fineman JR and Black SM. Alterations in TGF-β1 expression in lambs with increased pulmonary blood flow and pulmonary hypertension. Am. J. Physiol. 285: L209-L221, 2003.
- Brennan LA, Steinhorn RH, Wedgwood S, Mata-Greenwood E, Roark EA, Russell JA and Black SM. Increased superoxide generation is associated with pulmonary hypertension in fetal lambs: a role for NADPH oxidase. Circ. Res. 92: 683-691, 2003.