Hongyu Qiu, PhD
Division of Physiology
School of Medicine
Loma Linda University
Loma Linda, CA 92350
Phone: (909) 651-5894
Fax: (909) 558-0119
My lab’s researches focus on the studies on the molecular mechanisms underlying cardiovascular diseases. One of my research interests is to discover and characterize novel genes involved in the cardiac protection against myocardial ischemia and heart failure. With the combination of genomic and physiological studies, I developed the line of my research specified on the exploration of novel signaling pathways that participate in cardiac cell survival, both in cardiac myocytes in vitro and in genetically-modified mice (TG and KO) in vivo. The goal of my research is to better undreastand the mechanisms and physiological relevance of the protective effects of the novel genes against myocardial infarction.
Another important research of my lab is the study on the cellular and molecular mechanism of aortic stiffness. My particular interest is to elucidate the role of intrinsic elasticity of aortic vascular smooth muscle cell (VSMC) in the development of hypertension. By the combination of novel bio-engineering techniques including atomic force microscopy and reconstituted tissue model with the molecular medicine, we are chasing the contribution of VSMC stiffness to the development of aortic stiffness at tissue and single cell level and the underlying molecular mechanisms. This project represents a novel conception which differs from the previous finding that focused in the extra cellular matrix and endothelial dysfunction and will open new avenues for hypertension therapy at the level of VSMC.
My research efforts have been and are supported by grants from American Heart Association, National Institute of Health, and several other foundations.
Books and Chapters
- Qiu H, Depre C, Vatner SF. Gender Differences in a Primate Model of Aging. In Masoro E. J. and Austad, S.N., eds. Handbook of the Biology of Aging, 7th edition, Elsevier, 2010.
- Qiu H. The Physiology of Fetal Development (Multiple-media DVD for Medical University students), First Edition, Hongyu Qiu, People’s Health Publisher, Beijing, China, 2003.
- Qiu H, Li W. Chapter 2: The Physiology of Obstetrics, Chapter 6: Pre-eclapsia and Chapter 9 Fetal Intrauterine Growth Retardation in Gynecology and Obstetrics (Textbook for graduated students) First Edition, Xia H, Science and Technology Publisher, Shanghai, China, 1991.
Original Article in Journals
- Zhou S, Fang X, Xin H, Li W, Qiu H*(corresponding author), Guan S. Osteoprotegerin inhibits Calcification of Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell via Down Regulation of the Notch1-RBP-Jκ/Msx2 Signaling Pathway, PLOS ONE. 2013, 2013, 8(8).
- Lizano P, Rashed E, Kang H, Dai H, Sui X, Yan L, Qiu H*(corresponding author), Depre C. The valosin-containing protein promotes cardiac survival through the inducible isoform of nitric oxide synthase. Cardiovasc Res. 2013, 99(4):685-93.
- Iwatsubo K, Bravo C, Uechi M, Baljinnyam E, Nakamura T, Umemura M, Lai L, Gao S, Yan L, Zhao X, Park M, Qiu H, Okumura S, Iwatsubo M, Vatner DE, Vatner SF, Ishikawa Y. Prevention of Heart Failure in Mice by an Antiviral Agent that Inhibits Type 5 Cardiac Adenylyl Cyclase. Am J. Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2012, 302(12):H2622-8.
- Zhu Y, Qiu H, Trzeciakowski JP ,Sun Z, Li Z, Hong Z, Hill MA, Hunter W, Vatner DE, Vatner SF, Meininger GA. Temporal analysis of vascular smooth muscle cell elasticity and adhesion reveals oscillation waveforms that differ with aging. Aging Cell. 2012. 11(5):741-50
- Qiu H, Lizano P, Laure L, Sui X, Rashed E, Park J, Hong C, Gao S, Holle E, Morin D, Dhar S, Wanger T, Berdeaux A, tian B, Vatner SF, Depre C. H11 kinase/heat shock protein 22 deletion impairs both nuclear and mitochondrial functions of STAT3 and accelerates the transition into heart failure on cardiac overload. Circulation 2011, 124:406-415.
- Qiu H, Zhu Y, Sun Z, Trzeciakowski JP, Gananer M, Depre C, Resuello R, Natividad F, Hunter W, Genin G, Elson E, Vatner DE, Meininger G, Vatner SF. Vascular smooth muscle cell stiffness as a mechanism for increased aortic stiffness with aging. Circ Res. 2010, 107: 615-619.
- Depre C, Park JY, Shen YT, Zhao X, Qiu H, Yan L, Tian B, Vatner SF, Vatner DE. Molecular mechanisms mediating preconditioning following chronic ischemia differ from those in classical second window. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010, 299: H752-H762.
- Sui X, Li D, Qiu H, Gaussin V. Depre C. Activation of the bone morphogenetic protein receptor by H11 Kinase/ Hsp 22 promotes cardiac cell growth and survival. Circ Res. 2009, 104: 887-895.
- Lieber S, Qiu H* ( Same contribution as the first author), Chen L, Shen YT, Hong C, Hunter W, Aubry N, Vatner SF, Vatner DE. Cardiac dysfunction in aging conscious rats: altered cardiac cytoskeletal proteins as a potential mechanism. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008, 295:H860-H866.
- Qiu H, Dai H, Jain K, Shah R, Pain J, Tian B, Vatner DE, Vatner SF, Depre C. Characterization of a novel cardiac isoform of the cell cycle-related kinase that is regulated during heart failure. J Biol Chem. 2008, 283:22157-22165.
- Vitale JM, Qiu H, Depre C. Pre-emptive conditioning of the ischemic heart. Cardiovasc Hematol Agents Med Chem. 2008, 6: 92-104.
- Qiu H, Depre C, Vatner DE, Vatner SF. Sex differences in myocardial infarction and rupture. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2007, 43: 532-534.
- Qiu H, Depre C, Resuello RG, Natividad FF, Rossi F, Peppas A, Shen Y-T, Vatner DE, Vatner SF. Mechanism of gender-specific differences in aortic stiffness with aging. Circulation 2007, 116: 669-676.
- Qiu H, Tian B, Resuello R, Natividad F, Peppas A, Shen Y, Vatner DE, Vatner SF and Depre C. Gender-specific regulation of gene expression in the aging monkey aorta. Physiol Genomics 2007, 29: 169-180.
- Depre C, Wang L, Sui X, Qiu H, Hong C, Hedhli N, Ginion A, Shah A, Pelat M, Bertrand L, Wagner T, Gaussin V, Vatner SF. H11 Kinase prevents myocardial infarction by preemptive preconditioning of the heart. Circ Res. 2006, 98: 280-288.
- Wang Y, Sun Y, Qiu H. Expression of resistin mRNA in adipose tissue of rat model with polycystic ovarian syndrome and its significance. J Reprod Medicine 2005, 14: 93-97.
- Chu Y, Sun Y, Qiu H. Tyrosine phosphorylation and protein expression of insulin receptor substrate-1 in the adipose tissue from patients with PCOS. Chinese Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2004, 39: 176-179.
- Chu Y, Sun Y, Qiu H. Study of androgen and androgen receptor in relation to insulin resistance in polycystic ovary syndrome. Journal of Huazhong University of Science and Technology (Med Sci). 2003, 23: 52-54.
- Guo GL, Lade JA, Wilton AN, Moses EK, Grehan M, Fu YL, Qiu H, Cooper DW, Brennecke SP. Genetic susceptibility to preeclampsia and chromosome 7q36. Human Genetics. 1999, 105: 641-647.
- Guo GL, Wilton AN, Fu YL, Qiu H, Brennecke SP, Cooper DW. Angiotensinogen gene variation in a population case-control study of preeclampsia/eclampsia in Australians and Chinese. Electrophoresis 1997, 18:1646-1649.