Before You Begin
If you are new to the iPad, please read Chapters 1 and 2 of the iPad Manual before or while you are setting up the iPad. When you first turn on your iPad, the Set Up Assistant will guide you through the process of setting up your iPad. However, we are providing a list of steps below that are specific to LLU for your convenience.
Setting up your iPad
- Turn on the iPad by pressing on the button in the upper right corner of the iPad and swipe the arrow on the screen to the right with your finger to unlock.
- Select language and press arrow in upper right corner of the screen to advance.
- Select United States for your country and press arrow in upper right corner
- Set up wireless internet by selecting the wireless network at your current location. If at LLU, select the LLU-EAP network (or LomaLindaUniversity or llumc-guest if LLU-EAP is unavailable) and enter your email username and password to gain access.
- We recommend you enable Location Services on the next screen as this will enable you or the authorities to locate your iPad if it is lost or stolen (if you turn on “Find My iPad”) and will allow apps to deliver location-specific content to your device.
- If this is your first iPad, select “Set Up as New iPad.” If this is replacing another iPad, back up your old iPad to iCloud or your computer and select one of the restore options.
- If you have an Apple ID, sign in using your credentials so that your new iPad will be linked with your Apple account. If you do not have an Apple ID, follow the steps to create a new one.
- It is advisable to set up an iCloud account (5 GB are free) using your Apple ID and use it to back up your contacts, calendars, photos, apps, etc. You can set up your iPad so that it will back up at various times or intervals. Additionally, you can back up your iPad to your computer using iTunes. At this point, we recommend you download (or update) iTunes to your main computer.
- You should turn on “Find My iPad” on the next screen to ensure you or the authorities are able to locate your iPad using the iCloud website in the event it is lost or stolen. This will also allow you to erase all of the information on your iPad remotely (one reason it’s a good idea to back up your iPad regularly).
- In order to receive LLU email on your iPad, you will need to set a passcode. This passcode will be required every time you want to unlock your iPad. Choose a 4 digit number that will be easy to remember.
- You are now ready to start using your iPad. Before leaving, navigate around this iPad Support website to see what it offers you. You may also want to read about iPad Basics. Additionally, there are tutorials on this website to help with specific tasks on your iPad. Please check it out!
Setting-up LLU email on your iPad
- Press Settings on the iPad home screen
- Select “Mail, Contact, Calendars” on the right hand navigation bar
- Press Add Account
- Press Exchange
- Enter your full LLU email (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org), LLU email password, and a description of your email account (e.g. LLU Email). Then press “Next” in the upper right hand corner.
- Enter the Server as email.llu.edu
- Enter the Domain as llu
- If given the option, be sure “Use SSL” is selected
- Press Done
- Also, be sure the option for Mail is turned on and save