Division of Biomedical Engineering Sciences
School of Medicine
Loma Linda University
Loma Linda, CA 92350
Phone: 909-651-5016 Ext. 15016
I was trained as a physicist and radiation oncologist with board certifications in radiology and radiation oncology in Germany as well as in the United States. I have more than 25 years of clinical and research experience in proton therapy, which I gained at the world's first hospital-based Proton Therapy Center at Loma Linda University Medical Center (LLUMC), I came to Loma Linda in 1990 as a postdoctoral fellow of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft - DFG (German Research Foundation) and 4 years later I joined the staff of the Radiation Medicine Department at LLUMC. My first clinical project in proton therapy was the transfer of the former LBNL-UCSF-Stanford University helium ion radiosurgery program for arteriovenous malformations (AVMs) to LLUMC. Since 2013, I have been full Professor in the Division of Biomedical Engineering Sciences, at Loma Linda University Health. I have pioneered major advancement in proton therapy technology including the development of nanodosimetry and proton computed tomography. From 2015-2017 I served as one of three Principal Investigators in collaboration with the University of California San Francisco and the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory on a planning grant for particle therapy from the U.S. National Cancer Institute with the goal to reestablish ion therapy reseaerch in the United States of America.
The following list is for scholarly journal articles published during the academic year 2016-2017. For a full list of peer-reviewed publications click on this link that will take you to the NCPI mybibliography website.
- Penfold S, Zalas R, Casiraghi M, Brooke M, Censor Y, & Schulte R. (2017). Sparsity constrained split feasibility for dose-volume constraints in inverse planning of intensity-modulated photon or proton therapy. Physics in Medicine & Biology, 62(9), 3599-3618.
- Piersimoni P, Ramos-Mendez J, Geoghegan T, Bashkirov V A, Schulte R W, & Faddegon B A. (2017). The effect of beam purity and scanner complexity on proton CT accuracy. Med Phys, 44(1), 284-298.
- Giacometti V, Guatelli S, Bazalova-Carter M, Rosenfeld A B, & Schulte R W. (2017). Development of a high resolution voxelised head phantom for medical physics applications. Phys Med, 33, 182-188.
- Plautz T E, Bashkirov V, Giacometti V, Hurley R F, Johnson R P, . . . Zatserklyaniy A. (2016). An evaluation of spatial resolution of a prototype proton CT scanner. Med Phys, 43(12), 6291.
- Clarke S D, Pryser E, Wieger B M, Pozzi S A, Haelg R A, Bashkirov V A, & Schulte R W. (2016). A scintillator-based approach to monitor secondary neutron production during proton therapy. Med Phys, 43(11), 5915-5924.
- Roach M 3rd, Schulte R, Mishra K, Faddegon B, Barani I, Lazar A, & Blakely EA (2016) New Clinical and Research Programs in Particle Beam Radiation Therapy: The Winter;2(3):471-473.University of California San Francisco Perspective. Int J Part Ther.
- Vasi F, Casiraghi M, Bashkirov V, Giesen U, & Schulte R W. (2016). Development of a single ion detector for radiation track structure studies. Journal of Instrumentation, 11.