Associate Research Professor
Division of Pharmacology
School of Medicine
Loma Linda University
Loma Linda, CA 92350
My research interest focuses on the cellular/molecular mechanisms underlying the adaptive/maladaptive changes of the uteroplacental circulation during pregnancy under physiological and pathophysiological conditions. Our current research intends to explore the roles of ryanodine receptor-mediated Ca2+ sparks, large-conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channel-mediated spontaneous transient outward currents (STOCs) and the Ca2+ spark-STOC coupling in regulating uterine arterial myogenic tone.
1. Song R, Hu XQ, Zhang L. Glucocorticoids and programming of the microenvironment in heart. J Endocrinol. 2019 Jul 1;242(1):T121-T133.
2. Liu B, Hu X, Li Y, Ke J, Dasgupta C, Huang X, Walayat A, Zhang L, Xiao D. Epigenetic down-regulation of BKCa channel by miR-181a contributes to the fetal and neonatal nicotine-mediated exaggerated coronary vascular tone in adult life. Int J Cardiol. 2019 Apr 15;281:82-89.
3. Hu XQ, Song R, Romero M, Dasgupta C, Huang X, Holguin MA, Williams V, Xiao D, Wilson SM, Zhang L. Pregnancy Increases Ca2+ Sparks/Spontaneous Transient Outward Currents and Reduces Uterine Arterial Myogenic Tone. Hypertension. 2019 Mar;73(3):691-702.
4. Hu XQ, Song R, Zhang L. Effect of Oxidative Stress on the Estrogen-NOS-NO-KCa Channel Pathway in Uteroplacental Dysfunction: Its Implication in Pregnancy Complications. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2019;2019:9194269.
5. Hu XQ, Dasgupta C, Xiao J, Yang S, Zhang L. Long-term high altitude hypoxia during gestation suppresses large conductance Ca2+ -activated K+ channel function in uterine arteries: a causal role for microRNA-210. J Physiol. 2018 Dec;596(23):5891-5906.
6. Ducsay CA, Goyal R, Pearce WJ, Wilson S, Hu XQ, Zhang L. Gestational Hypoxia and Developmental Plasticity. Physiol Rev. 2018 Jul 1;98(3):1241-1334.
7. Hu XQ, Dasgupta C, Xiao D, Huang X, Yang S, Zhang L. MicroRNA-210 Targets Ten-Eleven Translocation Methylcytosine Dioxygenase 1 and Suppresses Pregnancy-Mediated Adaptation of Large Conductance Ca2+-Activated K+ Channel Expression and Function in Ovine Uterine Arteries. Hypertension. 2017 Jul 24;. 70(3):601–612.
8. Hu XQ, Zhang L. Angiogenesis during pregnancy: all routes lead to MAPKs. J Physiol. 2017 Jul 15;595(14):4571-4572.
9. Hu XQ, Dasgupta C, Chen M, Xiao D, Huang X, Han L, Yang S, Xu Z, Zhang L. Pregnancy Reprograms Large-Conductance Ca2+-Activated K+ Channel in Uterine Arteries: Roles of Ten-Eleven Translocation Methylcytosine Dioxygenase 1-Mediated Active Demethylation. Hypertension. 2017 Jun;69(6):1181-1191.
10. Hu XQ, Chen M, Dasgupta C, Xiao D, Huang X, Yang S, Zhang L. Chronic hypoxia upregulates DNA methyltransferase and represses large conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channel function in ovine uterine arteries. Biol Reprod. 2017 Feb 1;96(2):424-434.
11. Hu XQ, Huang X, Xiao D, Zhang L. Direct effect of chronic hypoxia in suppressing large conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channel activity in ovine uterine arteries via increasing oxidative stress. J Physiol. 2016 Jan 15;594(2):343-56.
12. Chen M, Xiao D, Hu XQ, Dasgupta C, Yang S, Zhang L. Hypoxia Represses ER-α Expression and Inhibits Estrogen-Induced Regulation of Ca2+-Activated K+ Channel Activity and Myogenic Tone in Ovine Uterine Arteries: Causal Role of DNA Methylation. Hypertension. 2015 Jul;66(1):44-51.
13. Hu XQ. Auto-inhibition at a ligand-gated ion channel: a cross-talk between orthosteric and allosteric sites. Br J Pharmacol. 2015 Jan;172(1):93-105.
14. Zhu R, Huang X, Hu XQ, Xiao D, Zhang L. Gestational hypoxia increases reactive oxygen species and inhibits steroid hormone-mediated upregulation of Ca2+-activated K+ channel function in uterine arteries. Hypertension. 2014 Aug;64(2):415-22.
15. Xiao D, Hu XQ, Huang X, Zhou J, Wilson SM, Yang S, Zhang L. Chronic hypoxia during gestation enhances uterine arterial myogenic tone via heightened oxidative stress. PLoS One. 2013;8(9):e73731.
16. Zhu R, Hu XQ, Xiao D, Yang S, Wilson SM, Longo LD, Zhang L. Chronic hypoxia inhibits pregnancy-induced upregulation of SKCa channel expression and function in uterine arteries. Hypertension. 2013 Aug;62(2):367-74.
17. Hu XQ, Zhang L. Function and regulation of large conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channel in vascular smooth muscle cells. Drug Discov Today. 2012 Sep;17(17-18):974-87.
18. Hu XQ, Xiao D, Zhu R, Huang X, Yang S, Wilson SM, Zhang L. Chronic hypoxia suppresses pregnancy-induced upregulation of large-conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channel activity in uterine arteries. Hypertension. 2012 Jul;60(1):214-22.
19. Hu XQ, Xiao D, Zhu R, Huang X, Yang S, Wilson S, Zhang L. Pregnancy upregulates large-conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channel activity and attenuates myogenic tone in uterine arteries. Hypertension. 2011 Dec;58(6):1132-9.
20. Zhang L, Xiao D, Hu X. Effect of cGMP on pharmacomechanical coupling in the uterine artery of near-term pregnant sheep. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2008 Nov;327(2):425-31.