Division of Physiology
School of Medicine
Loma Linda University
Loma Linda, CA 92350
Phone: (909) 558-5208
Fax: (909) 558-2450
My research interest centers on the noninvasive molecular identification of normal human sperm, oocytes and embryos in IVF and assisted reproduction technologies. Infertility affects about 10% of couples of reproductive age and numerous etiologies have been reported. The development of reliable diagnostic tests and treatment is essential in assisting patients have children. Several projects in this lab involved examining sperm DNA integrity, fragmentation, secretagogues and imprinting signals during early development and implantation of embryos. Another research interest focuses on the role of sperm-mediated transgenesis and oncogenesis. Our findings indicated sperm-involved vertical transmission of viral DNA fragments to developing embryos with subsequent disruption of host DNA. The integrity of DNA is also affected by nanoparticles and several projects carried out have uncovered disruption of stem cells and embryo development by the mixed ultrafine particles. Research are in progress to ascertain the role of nanoparticles in cancer and in causing preeclampsia-associated miscarriages.
- Tolen JA, Duerksen-Hughes P, Lau K, Chan PJ. Selenium Attenuates HPV-18 Associated Apoptosis in Embryo-Derived Trophoblastic Cells but Not Inner Cell Mass In Vitro. Int J Reprod Med. 2015;2015:562567.
- Carr KR, Ioffe YJ, Filippova M, Duerksen-Hughes P, Chan PJ. Combined ultrasound-curcumin treatment of human cervical cancer cells. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2015 Oct;193:96-101.
- Edwards KW, Chan PJ, Wei AK, Corselli JU, Jacobson JD. Further evidence supporting the Diff-Quik stain for sperm chromatin integrity testing. J Reprod Med. 2015 Jan-Feb;60(1-2):6-12.
- Chan PJ, Orzylowska EM, Corselli JU, Jacobson JD, Wei AK. A simple sperm DNA toroid integrity test and risk of miscarriage. Biomed Res Int. 2015;2015:780983.
- Chen SS, Block BS, Chan PJ. Pentoxifylline attenuates HPV-16 associated necrosis in placental trophoblasts. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2015 Mar;291(3):647-52.
- McMillan KS, Siddighi S, Hardesty JS, Yune JJ, Chan PJ. UVA-photoactivated riboflavin effect on isolated vaginal tissues derived from pelvic organ prolapse cases. Int Urol Nephrol. 2015 Jan;47(1):75-9.
- Schultz KJ, Siddighi S, Hardesty JS, Waggonner DB, Yune JJ, Chan PJ. UVA-photoactivated riboflavin treatment of vaginal cells derived from pelvic organ prolapse cases. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2014;77(2):100-3.
- Hong LJ, Oshiro BT, Chan PJ. HPV-16 exposed mouse embryos: a potential model for pregnancy wastage. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2013 Jun;287(6):1093-7.
- Wong A, Chuan SS, Patton WC, Jacobson JD, Corselli J, Chan PJ. (2008) Addition of eosin to the aniline blue assay to enhance detection of immature sperm histones. Fertil Steril. 90(5):1999-2002.
- Siddighi S, Chan CA, Patton WC, Jacobson JD, Chan PJ.(2007) Male age and sperm necrosis in assisted reproductive technologies.Urol Int.79(3):231-4.
- Kam TL, Jacobson JD, Patton WC, Corselli JU, Chan PJ. (2007) Retention of membrane charge attributes by cryopreserved-thawed sperm and zeta selection. J Assist Reprod Genet. 24(9):429-34.
- Fynewever TL, Agcaoili ES, Jacobson JD, Patton WC, Chan PJ. (2007) .In vitro tagging of embryos with nanoparticles. J Assist Reprod Genet. 24(2-3):61-5.
- Tran DN, Ota LC, Jacobson JD, Patton WC, Chan PJ. (2007) Influence of nanoparticles on morphological differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells. Fertil Steril. 87(4):965-70.
- Henneberg AA, Patton WC, Jacobson JD, Chan PJ. (2006) Human papilloma virus DNA exposure and embryo survival is stage-specific.J Assist Reprod Genet. 23(6):255-9.
- han PJ, Jacobson JD, Corselli JU, Patton WC. (2006) A simple zeta method for sperm selection based on membrane charge. Fertil Steril. 85(2):481-6.
- Bosman SJ, Nieto SP, Patton WC, Jacobson JD, Corselli JU, Chan PJ. (2005) Development of mammalian embryos exposed to mixed-size nanoparticles. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol;32(4):222-4.
- Maligaya ML, Chan CA, Jacobson JD, Patton WC, Corselli J, Chan PJ. (2006) A follow-up expanded study of the correlation of sperm velocity in seminal plasma and offspring gender. Arch Androl. 52(1):39-44.
- Kim JJ, Patton WC, Corselli J, Jacobson JD, King A, Chan PJ. (2005) Mouse embryonic stem cells for quality control testing in assisted reproductive technology programs. J Reprod Med. Jul;50(7):533-8.
- Hart EA, Patton WC, Jacobson JD, King A, Corselli J, Chan PJ. (2005) Luteal phase serum cell-free DNA as a marker of failed pregnancy after assisted reproductive technology. J Assist Reprod Genet. 22(5):213-7.
- Chou JS, Jacobson JD, Patton WC, King A, Chan PJ. (2004) Modified isocratic capillary electrophoresis detection of cell-free DNA in semen. J Assist Reprod Genet. 21(11):397-400.