Founded in 1963, the Walter E. Macpherson Society was a vision of Drs. Harriman F. Jones ('37), Louis L. Smith ('49), Leland R. House ('34) and Roger W. Barnes ('23). The society is named after Dr. Walter E. Macpherson (1899-1996) who epitomized the ideal of a dedicated physician in his service to the School of Medicine and his students.
Dr. Macpherson graduated from the College of Medical Evangelists (now known as Loma Linda University School of Medicine) in 1924. He served the School of Medicine CME/LLU as an instructor 1926-36, professor, dean, 1954-62, and president, 1942-48 and 1951-54.