MITHS is a challenging three-week summer program designed to introduce black Seventh-day Adventist (SDA) high school students to careers in the health sciences, sponsored by the Loma Linda University (LLU) and Black Alumni of Loma Linda and La Sierra University (BALL). Students spend three weeks at Loma Linda University immersed in campus life. Participants will have a first-hand opportunity to experience what happens at a health sciences university campus and be exposed to basic sciences (anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, pathology, pharmacology), clinical courses (nursing, medicine, medical technology, dentistry, dental hygiene, physical therapy, public health, pharmacy) and research. Students will also develop time management and study skills in a workshop program specifically designed for them. The MITHS experience will prepare students for their senior year of high school and expose them to what to expect in college.
How much does it cost?
The great news is that the MITHS program is FREE to the participants. If you are selected, your room, board, and educational expenses will be covered by Loma Linda University. Students' transportation to and from Loma Linda will be the only cost for participating students. Additionally, students should have their own medical insurance coverage from an individual or group plan in their or parents' name.
Who can apply?
MITHS participants will be selected from a pool of Black applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Junior in high school
- High academic standing - overall GPA of 3.5+
- High academic performance in science and math courses
- Seventh-day Adventist Church membership or affiliation
- Citizenship record in good and regular standing
- Participation in leadership, school activities, and community service
- Strong interest in a career in the health sciences
Who are the instructors?
The MITHS courses will be taught by faculty from the School of Medicine and School of Dentistry who teach the regular medical school courses to LLU students. The MITHS research program will be led by research scientists employed in the health science programs of the various professional schools of Loma Linda University.
How do I apply?
Each applicant must meet the application criteria, complete the online application, and submit required mailed documents by the application deadline March 1, 2019. Please thoroughly review the "MITHS Application Instructions" PDF before starting the online application.
- March 1, 2019 – Application Deadline:
- April 1, 2019 – Selected Participants Notified
- July 8-28, 2019 – MITHS Program Dates
- July 28, 2019 – MITHS 20th Celebration Gala
- December – all candidates should have taken the PSAT, SAT, or ACT exam.
- February – submit the application with all required documentation by the deadline date listed on the application.
- March – Applicants will be notified by e-mail to confirm their application was received.
- April – Students will be informed if they were selected, placed on the wait-list, or disqualified by e-mail. Further communication occurs between the MITHS Assistant and the participants by e-mail.
- July – The MITHS program begins on the LLU campus. After three-weeks the participants end the program and go home.